tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 15 11:14:55 2001

Re: I had an idea, I don't know how...

qurgh,

This is the infamous and evil "Question As Object" dilemma.  Some people
will scream at you that it must be allowed, and others will do the same
saying it's not.  I tend to believe the latter.  At least, while it doesn't
violate any rules, it doesn't "work" in Klingon.

Let's use your sentence as an example:

"My computer crashed today; I don't know why."

If you believe in the Question As Object:

qatlh DaHjaj QapHa' De'wI'wIj 'e' vISov.

You have found a workaround:

DaHjaj QapHa' De'wI'wIj.  qatlh?  jISovbe'.

However, I find the idea of Klingons constantly asking rhetorical questions
a silly one.  Luckily for us, there's an easy solution to this particular
example:

DaHjaj QapHa' De'wI'wIj.  meq vISovbe'.

Sometimes we're not so lucky to have a convenient noun like /meq/ to do
things like this.  In these cases, the sentence must be reworded.

There have been reams of work posted and published about the Question As
Object.  It has never been fully explained by Okrand.  Your best bet is not
to use it.  People who hate QAO will appreciate that, and people who like it
will not even notice, because your reworded sentence doesn't have it.

SuStel
Stardate 1874.6