tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 18 01:15:16 2001

Klingon and Unicode

>tlhIngan Hol was deemed inappropriate to include in the ISO codings,
>despite the application being backed by the KLI.
>
>It seems therefore that at least one (professional?) body of people
>disregard tlhIngan Hol as a real language.

As I understand it, the denial of the Klingon "alphabet" as
appropriate for being included in the Unicode standard explicitly
acknowledges Klingon as a language.  The reason it was denied is
because of a policy of not including any "fantasy" scripts, in an
apparent fear of setting a precedent and having every little private
alphabet submitted for inclusion.
--
-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level