tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 16 05:28:15 2001

RE: purpose clause with -meH

taD:
> >  That is, {HaDmeH paq} - "a
> >  book-for-learning". So the whole sentence would be:
> >  {HaDmeH paq munojqang 'Iv?} "Who's willing to lend me a book-for-learning?"

lay'tel SIvten:
> i read {HaDmeH paq} as "in order that the book study him/her/it/them", (or,
> as in TKD: "in order for the book to study him/her/it/them") and it doesn't
> make very much sense to me that way.  perhaps {paQDI'norgh paq} "a book of
> teachings"?

I read {HaDmeH paq} as "textbook".  That's probably because I've been
compiling a list of terms I can use for university-related items, for
my Klingon web site, and I had {HaDmeH paq} for "textbook" in my list.

{HaDmeH paq} parallels {ghojmeH taj} from KCD.  Just as {ghojmeH
taj} does not mean "in order for the knife to learn him/her/it/them",
but rather "knife for learning", so {HaDmeH paq} means "book for
studying", i.e. a textbook.

--
De'vID