tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 16 10:40:01 2001

RE: purpose clause with -meH

taD:
>> That is, {HaDmeH paq} - "a book-for-learning". So the whole sentence
>> would be: {HaDmeH paq munojqang 'Iv?} "Who's willing to lend me a
>> book-for-learning?"

lay'tel SIvten:
> i read {HaDmeH paq} as "in order that the book study him/her/it/them", (or,
> as in TKD: "in order for the book to study him/her/it/them") and it doesn't
> make very much sense to me that way.  perhaps {paQDI'norgh paq} "a book of
> teachings"?

De'vID:
: {HaDmeH paq} parallels {ghojmeH taj} from KCD.  Just as {ghojmeH
: taj} does not mean "in order for the knife to learn him/her/it/them",
: but rather "knife for learning", so {HaDmeH paq} means "book for
: studying", i.e. a textbook.

De'vID's correct.  Several more noun phrases of this sort are known, most of
them from the Bird of Prey poster:

DevmeH paq
guide [book] (TKW)
[TKW's subtitle is {SuvwI' DevmeH paq} "A Warrior's Guide"]

QongmeH Duj
sleeper ship  (SkyBox S15)

qa'meH vIttlhegh
replacement proverb
[derived from the longer {quvqa'meH vIttlhegh} "a proverb [for the purpose of]
being honored again") (MO in HolQeD 5.1)]

SopmeH pa'
dining room, eating room
["literally room in order to eat or room for eating, from {Sop} eat plus {-meH}
in order to" (MO on startrek.klingon 6/97)]

chenmoHlu'meH Daq
construction site (BoP Poster)

Qapchu'meH chuq
effective range (BoP Poster)