tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 13 18:55:23 2001

Re: Learners

lab Sian Roger je:
---
It *is* difficult for learners.  There is no "teach
yourself Klingon" book, with the grammar being
introduced in a gradual way, exercises, and readings
which contain only the vocab and grammar learned so far
(and a minimum of jargon).  The two excellent beginning
courses:  Dave Barron's, and Holtej's course in pojwI',
are both  fairly short.
Could we have a "learner's corner in "Qo'noS Qonos"
with simple stuff like Xardana's SarDan stories,
{qettaHvIS targhoy yilegh) and so on.  Not as good as a
graded primer, but at the moment it is to a
considerable extent sink or swim
(I've just noticed there is no word for "swim" in
Klingon - presumably for them the saying is {voQ pagh
voQ}).
--
ben qechlIj rurbogh lutmey vIqon.
I wrote such stories years ago.

Daqchaj vIqawmeH choQubchoHmoHpu'.
You've made me start to try to remember where they are.

chaq notlhchoHpu' pabchaj.
Their grammar may have become obsolete.

HolQeDDaq chu'wI'pu'vaD qeSbogh mu'mey vIqon jIH.
In HolQeD, I myself write advice to beginners.

tlhIngan Hol yejHaD Damuvchugh DaHev.
If you join the KLI you will receive it.

jabbI'IDghomvam Dalo'chugh, Hoch DaghojlaH.
You can learn everything if you use this list.

tlhIngan mu'ghom poSmoHlaHchugh vay', mu'tlheghDaj wa'DIch qonlaH.
If someone can open TKD he can write his first sentence.

mujchu'chugh, ram.
It doesn't matter if it's completely wrong.

lughmoH pabpo' 'ej chu'wI' patlhvaD qeS lab ghaH.
The BG will correct it and give advice appropriate to the beginner's level.

lutmeyvam vInejbogh bIHbe' lutmeyvam'e', 'ach chaq botIv.

These I labelled KLBC:
/tlhIngan-Hol/1997/June/msg00886.html
/tlhIngan-Hol/1997/June/msg00919.html
/tlhIngan-Hol/1997/June/msg00938.html

This story is bizarre.  Did I really write it?  And WHY?
/tlhIngan-Hol/1997/November/msg00472.html

This one has no -lu' or type-9s.
/tlhIngan-Hol/1998/July/msg00850.html

Many beginner submissions labelled "KLBC Story" are excellent stories.
Read them in conjunction with the BG follow up so you don't copy their
grammatical errors, but try to spot what needs fixing for yourself.  That's
what I used to do before I started posting, then I'd check my work against
the BG's own follow up.

I wish we had the search function again.  There is an excellent beginner
story, written by a beginner as she developed her command of the language,
with a main character pe'lora. peHruS periodically posts repetitive
sentences at a beginner level.
Qov

Back to archive top level