tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 16 22:16:24 2001

Re: Learners

ja' "Sian and Roger" <[email protected]>:
>...The two excellent beginning
>courses:  Dave Barron's, and Holtej's course in pojwI',
>are both  fairly short.

napqu' tlhIngan Hol.  puS pab chutmey.  mu'mey tlha'chuqmoHbogh mIw
ghojlu'DI', po'wI' Dub mu'tay' neH.  machnISba'qu' tlhIngan pab paqHom.
qeq qaq law' paq qaq puS.

The Klingon language is extremely simple, with remarkably few rules of
grammar to learn.  Once the word order and affix types are learned,
increasing skill is almost entirely a matter of vocabulary.  I think that a
short course is quite appropriate.  Book learning is a very poor substitute
for interactive practice.

>...at the moment it is to a
>considerable extent sink or swim
>(I've just noticed there is no word for "swim" in
>Klingon - presumably for them the saying is {voQ pagh
>voQ}).

{bIHaH'eghbe'chugh vaj bIHegh}, perhaps, though "choke or soak" has a
certain appeal in English.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level