tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 06 12:20:01 2001

re: Double '' and ' at the start of a word...

> From: "qurgh Doq'marr" <[email protected]>
> Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 02:15:52 -0500

> again...
>
> How do you pronounce words which start with the glottal stop?

Pronounce the English word "all". You just started it with a glottal stop.
You are unaware of it because in English, all syllables that seem to start
with a bare vowel actually start with a glottal stop. Consider the
difference between the way you casually would say "cooperate" in the middle
of a sentence and compare it to the pronunciation you'd use if the person
didn't understand, so you repeat it very clearly for them. You add a
glottal stop between the two "o"s. Why? Because that's how you pronounce a
syllable with an open vowel. You just never thought about it.

"Cooperate."

"What?"

"Co-operate".

The native Hawaiian language (among others) apparently has both a "hard
onset" and a "soft onset" set of vowels. One starts with a glottal stop
(like English) while the other doesn't. Most native English speakers can't
hear the difference because this is not part of our language, but Hawaiians
can hear it. As an example, apparently to a Hawaiian, the word "Hawaii"
starts with an "A", not an "H", but it is a soft onset "A", so foreigners
have mis-heard the sounds and put an "H" there because it doesn't really
sound quite like "Awaii". It begins softer than that.

> The answer to that question probably answers the, how do you pronounce a
> double glottal stop? but I wanted to get the general answer anyway.

Pronounce the following two English words:

butter

water

Do you hear a difference between the "t" sounds in the middle of these two
words? I know someone who actually says, "but-ter" with two "t"s.
Unfortunately, she also says "wat-ter" with two "t"s. Fortunately, she
lives far, far away, so I haven't strangled her yet.

> I'm not sure if the answer is in the FAQ either, I can't seem to be able
> to access it right now (wierd DNS errors)...

Maybe if you used regular DNS instead of weird DNS, you'd get fewer errors.
{{:)>

> Qapla' juppu'wI' 'ej taHjaj wo'
>
> qurgh

SarrIS