tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 06 11:06:25 2001

Re: post

> From: [email protected]
> Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 21:13:32 EST

> I almost forgot.  Is there a way that I could obtain a complete list of
> words  not found in the dictionary?

You need three sources for all the currently known words for Klingon:

The Klingon Dictionary (TKD, which you apparently have)

Klingon for the Galactic Traveler (KGT, which you apparently lack)

/tlh/newwords.html

The latter is the online list of all known Okrand-canon Klingon words that
are not in either of the first two books. I also list exceptional words,
like those that are in the Klingon-English side of TKD, but are missing
from the English-Klingon side, etc. The idea behind this list is that we do
not seek to violate Okrand's copyrights and we want to encourage people to
pay him the royalties he is due (and Paramount and their subsidiaries the
money they are due) for making the language possible, so you still have to
buy those two books in order to get the published words. The online New
Words List picks up the slack for other words in scattered places. The
original sources are cited for each word.

That does leave you with four places to look up words: TKD main, TKD
appendix, KGT and NWL (New Words List).

Want them all on one list? No problem. Just compile your own list from
these four. Think that's absurd? Well, most of the rest of us did it. It
really helps you with vocabulary. You won't necessarily memorize the entire
word list while you compile it, but it will help you remember whether a
particular word exists or not so you'll know whether to bother looking it
up. It will also help you remember synonyms that do exist for words that do
not.

> Also, how has everyone obtained their names?  I'm just a little curious.

Having the name Will, realizing that Klingon doesn't really have a verb or
noun meaning "will", I dropped back to perhaps the most famous Will:
William, The Conqueror. So, I became charghwI'. Rank never occured to me
all that much until Qov retired from her term as BG and referred to herself
as pabpo' 'utlh, using the newly coined word for retired officer. Myself,
having been a BG years earlier, liked that and became charghwI' 'utlh.

Then, after a spectacularly unpleasant exchange with another Klingonist on
the list (another BG, no less), I quit for a while. Then I saw the movie
Galaxy Quest and saw Sarris. He's big, mean and ugly, just like some people
here apparently think I am, so what the heck. I came back as SarrIS. So
what if it implies that I'm green. Cool hair and I really like those spikes
on his back that flare up whenever he gets angry.

So, here I am: SarrIS

> Valerie  :-)~
>
> Peace!

You write to a Klingon language list and end the message with "Peace"? Do
you also write to vegetarian lists and end messages with "Meat"?

SarrIS

Back to archive top level