tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 10 12:01:47 2001

Re: The Year of the Horse

From: <[email protected]>

> > ...with the phrase "This is the Year of the Horse"
> >
> > tera' DISvam 'oH tep qengbogh Ha'DIbaH tera' DIS'e'
>
> An Arab would call this a camel
>
> > Question 2 -- Can anyone suggest anything better than "animal that
> > carries a load" as a translation of "horse"?
>
> In klingon for the Galatic Traveler, p111, we have "A Klingon sark (Sargh)
is
> an animal somewhat resembling a Terran horse, both in appearance and in
that
> Klingons ... often ride on the animal's back."
>
> tera' DISvam 'oH Sargh DIS'e'

But it's not the Year of the Sark.  Nor is it the Year of the Camel.  It's
the Year of the Horse.  Since horses are not native to any Klingon planets,
nor have we ever heard of Klingons using horses that I can recall, it's not
surprising they have no known word for them.  What's the English translation
of "sark"?  It's not "horse . . . ."  Use the word "horse" if you mean
"horse."

Also, I'd reverse the order in which this sentence is stated.  As it's
currently written,

tera' DISvam 'oH *horse* DIS'e',

this sentence says, "About the Year of the Horse: it is this year."  Myself,
I'd say "About this year: it is the Year of the Horse."

*horse* DIS 'oH tera' DISvam'e'.

You might even consider using a culture name other than the planet /tera'/.
Not all /tera'ngan/ consider it the /*horse* DIS/.

SuStel
Stardate 1943.1

Back to archive top level