tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 10 12:14:41 2001

Re: The Year of the Horse

From: <[email protected]>
> > Not quite; you've reversed the subject and predicate.  "This Terran
> > year" is
> > the subject and goes at the end of an equational sentence (i.e. one
> > using a
> > pronoun as a copula) and has to be tagged with {-'e'}:
>
> To me it works better with "this year" as the object.  But then I don't
know
> anything about this copula stuff.

In this case, what you don't know can't hurt you.  There's no reason to
assume that Klingon and English copulas work the same way.  In fact, there's
evidence that they don't.  Forget what you think you know about "to be"
sentences, and look at what they're really telling you.

In Klingon, you mark the final noun in the "to be" sentence with the
focus/topic suffix /-'e'/.  Some people will claim that this is there purely
because it's a rule, but Okrand's explanation of "to be" actually suggests
that it's performing its standard topicalizer role.  He translates /X 'oH
Y'e'/ as "As for Y, it is X."  Y is the topic, and you're using another noun
to describe it.  Yes, it's a rule which must be followed, but it also has a
purpose.

In trying to say "This is the Year of the Horse," the topic under
consideration is "this year," not "Year of the Horse."