tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 07 18:55:31 2000

RE: KLBC Quotes

jatlh ijeyD:
> What is the best way to quote someone in klingon?  as in  "so
> and so said
> ......"  or "so and so says....."
>
> HIyajmoH!

lu'.

The way quotes are used in Klingon is descirbed a little bit in TKD 6.2.5 on
page 67. The quote can go before or after the sentence. Note that the qoute
is *NOT* the object of the sentence - it just gets put right next to it. So
to say "you said (blah blah blah)", you would say <bIjatlh (blah blah blah)>
or <(blah blah blah) bIjatlh>. You would not use <Dajatlh>. Here are some
examples:

jatlh qama' jIghung - The prisoner said "I am hungry".
bImoH bIjatlhbej - You definitely said "You are ugly". (best to duck at this
point).
jIjatlhbe' bImoH - I did not say "you are ugly".

etc.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ