tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 06 14:23:26 2000

Re: KLBC : A somewhat advanced translation...

I saw a couple responses to this, but while scanning them,
there's one question I didn't see answered.

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000 22:57:30 EST [email protected] wrote:

> ... When the verb qIj (be black) is used adjectively
> here, the locative suffix -Daq is attached to the adjective, rather than the
> noun. Why exactly is this ? It would seem to be more correct to say they are
> *in* the *fleet*, which just happens to be *black*... but the locative is
> attached to the *black* and not the *fleet* It's a noun suffix attached to a
> verb being used adjectively. But, as previously noted, it's canon. Is there a
> rule I missed somewhere that says the locative suffix is attached to the end
> of a noun *clause*, vice to the noun itself ?
> Why isn't it 'ejyo'Daq qIj ?

There is a rule. Not just locatives, but ALL Type 5 noun
suffixes get moved from the noun to any trailing adjectives.
ghunchu'wI' described well why this definitely improves clarity
over the suffix placement you would expect without the rule, but
the two points I didn't see addressed are:

1. It works for all Type 5 suffixes, not just {-Daq}.

2. The rule is in TKD: section 4.4, page 50. The wording there
is very explicit and clear and worth review.

> juDmoS the Inquisitive

charghwI'

Back to archive top level