tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 05 21:51:27 2000

Re: KLBC : A somewhat advanced translation...

ja'pu' juDmoS:
>...When the verb qIj (be black) is used adjectively
>here, the locative suffix -Daq is attached to the adjective, rather than the
>noun. Why exactly is this ?

ja' Voragh:
>If you want chapter and verse for the rule pagh refers to, see TKD section
>4.4 "Adjectives" (p.50):
>[...]
>A better question would be *why* did Okrand create this rule?

It makes perfect sense to me.  {yo' qIjDaq} "in the Black Fleet" can be
understood easily as a locative phrase.  If it were {yo'Daq qIj}, there
is a possibility that it might mean "it is black in the fleet".  While
some of the grammar might seem arbitrary or capricious, this particular
bit looks like Okrand put some thought into making it work well.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level