tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 06 10:06:40 2000

RE: KLBC : A somewhat advanced translation...

>Voragh has already commented on <yo'>, and the rest of it is quite good. I
>particularly like <Hegh 'oHbe'bogh Hegh>. You might consider an alternative
>for the last bit, though: <..., 'ej Haghlu'>. Just something to think about.
>pagh

<Hegh 'oHbe'bogh Hegh> vIparHa'qu' je.  That is a really cool phrase.

*pagh, a question came up when I was trying to read this sentence.
When you say "A is B", it's <B 'oH A'e'>, qar'a'?  The <-'e'> suffix
as I recall is necessary.  Thus, "A is not B" would be <B 'oHbe' A'e'>,
and "A which is not B" would be <B 'oHbe'bogh A'e'>.  Perhaps "death
which is not death" is too abstract an example.  Let me use another.

Suppose I wanted to say "Kahless is a warrior".  <SuvwI' ghaH qeylIS'e'>,
qar'a'?  Then "Kahless, who is a warrior" is <SuvwI' ghaHbogh qeylIS'e'>.
This puts the <-'e'> on <qeylIS>.  But what if I wanted to use this in
a phrase where the topic of the <-bogh> clause (sorry I'm not a linguist,
I hope you understand what I mean) is <SuvwI'>?  Is this possible?  In
English, something like "I see the warrior, whom Kahless is".  (I
realize that I can recast this to "I see Kahless who is the warrior",
the example is artificial but I couldn't think of a better one.)  Would
that be <SuvwI''e' ghaHbogh qeylIS>?  <SuvwI''e' ghaHbogh qeylIS'e'>?
DaH jIHvaD yIQIj!

--
De'vID

Beam to http://www.StarTrek.com
Now featuring the Star Trek Store and
the official site for Star Trek: Insurrection.

Back to archive top level