tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 05 19:57:53 2000

Re: KLBC : A somewhat advanced translation...

<<
 jatlh juDmoS:
 > 'ejyo' qIjDaq, Hegh 'oHbe'bogh Hegh tu'lu', taHmo':
 > wa'SaDlogh HoHlu'meH jaghpu' tu'lu' 'ej wa'SaDlogh
 > chegh jaghpu' 'ej HaghtaHbogh SuvwI'pu' tu'lu'.
 >

 > "In the Black Fleet, there is death that is not death,
 > because not the end: There is enemy to be killed a
 > thousand times, and each time return, and there
 > is laughter."
 >
 > How did I do ??

 Voragh has already commented on <yo'>, and the rest of it is quite good. I
 particularly like <Hegh 'oHbe'bogh Hegh>. You might consider an alternative
 for the last bit, though: <..., 'ej Haghlu'>. Just something to think about.

 pagh
 Beginners' Grammarian

His comments and yours reminded me of a question I had meant to ask
concerning adjective usage. When the verb qIj (be black) is used adjectively
here, the locative suffix -Daq is attached to the adjective, rather than the
noun. Why exactly is this ? It would seem to be more correct to say they are
*in* the *fleet*, which just happens to be *black*... but the locative is
attached to the *black* and not the *fleet* It's a noun suffix attached to a
verb being used adjectively. But, as previously noted, it's canon. Is there a
rule I missed somewhere that says the locative suffix is attached to the end
of a noun *clause*, vice to the noun itself ?
Why isn't it 'ejyo'Daq qIj ?

juDmoS the Inquisitive

Back to archive top level