tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 06 14:16:09 2000

Hoch -- lo' law' mu'!

>...When {Hoch} precedes a noun, it acts a lot like a
>number.  {Hoch nIn} is "each fuel"; {nIn Hoch} is "all of the fuel"...

ja' De'vID:
>I don't know if this has been answered already but how does
>one express "each" and "every" in Klingon?

They are both expressed by putting the word {Hoch} in front of the noun.
The distinction between them is implied by the absence or presence of a
plural suffix on the noun.

{Hov bav Hoch yuQ} "Each planet orbits a star."
{Hov bav Hoch yuQmey} "All planets orbit stars."

There's not much difference in meaning between these two.  However --

{Hoch paq vIlaD} "I read each book."
{Hoch paqmey vIlaD} "I read all books."

The first one implies that the books were read one at a time, with a
slight emphasis on the uniqueness of each individual book.  The second
lumps books together into a general category.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level