tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 08 06:36:36 1999

Re: Closed Captions?

On Fri, 08 Oct 1999 00:01:42 -0500 Steven Boozer
<[email protected]> wrote:

> SuSvaj:
> > If anyone out there has closed captioning on their TV, please tell me
> > the giben spelling/pronunciation of the following words from the recent
> > Voyager episode "Barge of the Dead."
> >
> >	1. Pak-batla': A sacred scroll consulted by B'Elanna.
>
> charghwI':
> : Gee. That looks a lot like paq batlh'a', which would be reversed
> : word order for "book of great honor". But then what does
> : Paramount know about word order?
>
> It's "PAQ'BATLH" in the captions.  No doubt it's {no' Hol}. <g>
>
> You're giving the writers far too much credit in thinking they would use
> the augmentative suffix {-'a'}.  The name of the "sacred Klingon scroll"
> B'Elanna was reading is just {paq batlh} "The Book of Honor".

Actually, {paq batlh} would be "The Honor of the Book" or "The
Book's Honor". If you wanted "The Book of Honor" it should be
{batlh paq}.

> The Paramount writers sometimes include words from TKD in their scripts -
> and BTW, there are a lot of them in this episode, mostly uninflected and in
> English word order - leaving the poor actors to try and figure out how to
> pronounce Okrand's strange-looking spelling on their own.  The actors often
> pronounce Klingon /tlh/ as if it were two syllables and {batlh} usually
> comes out sounding like English "battle": /BAT-uhl/ or /BA-tuhl/.  Roxanne
> Dawson seems to pronounce it a little differently: /BAHT-luh/.

She has an excuse, being half human, after all.

> >  2. Korskorie: Creatures that live in the river of blood and try to draw
> >     the dead to jump overboard.
>
> "KOS'KARII"

Coast Guard maybe?

> --