tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 29 21:22:40 1999

Re: KLBC Help with a word...

> ja'pu' pagh:
> > najlu'chu'DI', wanI' Dun law' yuch Dun puS.
> >
> >So what this literally means is "When one dreams perfectly, the event is
> >better than chocolate". By far the best way to translate it into English
is:
> >"A good dream is better than chocolate".
>
> ja' HomDoq:
> >this is really bugging me :(
> >
> >the way I'd interpret sentences like this is:
> >"the event (whatever it may be) is better than chocolate,
> >but this statement is true only at those times when one
> >dreams perfectly"

jatlh ghunchu'wI':
> I don't understand what's bugging you about it.  The event is obviously
> the one that was just mentioned, i.e. dreaming perfectly.  If I wanted
> to give a "conditional" meaning to the idea, I'd use {-chugh} instead of
> {-DI'}.

I see why it's bugging him.  It could be interpreted thusly:

At a certain time (that time when someone dreams perfectly), some event is
more wonderful than chocolate.

The obvious implication to that is that at other times, that event (whatever
it is) is not more wonderful than chocolate.

How about this:

najchu'ghach Dun law' yuch Dun puS.
A perfect dream is more wonderful than chocolate.

SuStel
Stardate 99912.2

Back to archive top level