tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 17 21:20:45 1999

Re: jabbI'IDghom vInaw'laHbe' / klbc-HELP!

~mark:
>> Transitivity of 'oy'?  What is known?

ghunchu'wI':
> The definition "ache, hurt, be sore" is clearly intransitive.

charghwI':
: Add the usage in TKW p46. I don't have it with me now, but
: apparently this reinforces the intransitive interpretation.

{'oy'}  "ache, hurt, be sore"

  'oy'a'
  Will it hurt? TKD

  loQ 'oy'DI' SuvwI' bepbe'
  A warrior does not complain about physical discomfort.

["The Federation Standard word 'discomfort' somewhat distorts the meaning
of the Klingon, which refers to a warrior aching slightly." (TKW:46)]

  'oy'be'lu'chugh Qapbe'lu'
  No pain, no gain. TKW

  bImoH. 'oy' mInDu'wIj
  You're ugly. My eyes ache. KGT

  jI'oy'
  I ache. (ST:Cont KLS)

{'oy'moH}  "inflict pain" S32

  SIQwI' lu'oy'moHmeH juppu'Daj 'oy'naQmey lo' chaH
  The Painstik is employed by friends of the recipient... S32

  chIch vay' 'oy'moHmeH 'oy'naQ 'ul law' tlhuD 'oH
  Painstiks ... emit a highly-charged shock for the express
   purpose of inflicting pain. S32

~mark may be confusing {'oy'} with {'aw'} "sting", which is transitive:

  mu'aw' mInDu'wIj.
  My eyes sting. (lit. "My eyes sting me.") CK

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level