tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 17 22:50:10 1999

Re: Klingon WOTD: bal (n)

: Klingon word:   bal
: Part of Speech: noun
: Definition:     jug, jar, bottle
: Notes:          KGT

Going through my files for {bal}, I collected a few notes on various
containers (ngaSwI') and associated vocabulary some might find useful.
There's more than I thought there would be.

                              ----------------

{bIQ bal} water jug (n.) KCD

{qang} "pour (from one container into another) (v.)
 - latlh HIvje'Daq 'Iw HIq bIr yIqang!
   Pour the cold bloodwine into another glass!
   (idiom: "I don't believe you; maybe someone else will" or
   "That is irrelevant to me; maybe someone else will care") KGT
 - latlh HIvje'Daq 'Iw HIq bIr vIqang!
   I pour the cold bloodwine into another glass! KGT (non-idiomatic)

{yuvtlhe'}  lid, cover, cap (n.) [i.e. a removable top from a container
(IMO, HQ 8.3)

  "The bartender nodded and before a moment passed he had returned with
three bottles. He sat them on the bar and pointed at each in turn.
  "{ngaSwI' wej. HIvje'mey}." (KCD novelization, p.85f)

"A container from which drinks are consumed is a {HIvje'}. This word is
used for any sort of drinking vessel: glass, cup, mug, stein, goblet,
tumbler, and so on. If necessary, {HIvje'} can also be used to refer to
drinking vessels normally not associated with Klingon culture--for example,
crystal stemware. Since certain drinks are typically associated with
certain containers, saying the type of drink plus HIvje' indicates the type
of cup or glass as well: {'Iw HIq HIvje'} ("bloodwine glass"), {qa'vIn
HIvje'} ("coffee mug"), {baqghol HIvje'} ("bahgol cup"). Unless specified
further, {HIq HIvje'} ("liquor glass") usually means a tankard or stein for
beer or ale. A {bal} is any bottle or jug used to store liquid. Usually one
will pour (qang) the drink directly from the {bal} into the {HIvje'}, but
it is not considered uncivil to drink directly from the {bal}. ... Some
drinks are served in special containers, such as the {runpI'} ("teapot")
used in the making of {Dargh} ("tea"), and are then poured into the
appropriate {HIvje'}." (KGT 98f)

"Tea may be made either in a teapot (runpI') or directly in the teacup
({Dargh HIvje'}, or, if not a cup specifically designed for drinking tea,
just {HIvje'})." (KGT 96)

{tu'lum}  teacup (older or upper-class word) (n.) KGT

{qegh}  vat, barrel (for storage of liquor) (n.) KGT

"Ale [wornagh] is often stored in a large vat (qegh) rather than in a
{bal}." (KGT 99)

Bloodwine is transported and stored in metal barrels (DS9 "Apocalypse
Rising", "Warriors of the Empire", et al.).

"The equipment needed for the preparation of Klingon food is rather
minimal, consisting pretty much of pots or vats ... A square or rectangular
tub used to hold food while it is fermenting is called a {'Ib}" (KGT 97)

All but the least experienced cooks have {chanDoq} (marinade) prepared well
in advance of a meal, keeping a large container of the brew around at all
times and constantly adding new ingredients to it as they become
available." (KGT 90f)

"a cook's ever-present supply of {chanDoq} (marinade) is kept in a large
{bal}" (KGT 97)

"If the particular dish is somewhat soupy ... it will arrive at the table
in a large bowl (maHpIn) and a diner will pour [qang] its contents into a
smaller bowl (Duq), from which he or she will consume it." (KGT 99)

"Each dish [nay'] is brought to the table (raS) on a platter ('elpI'),
usually made of metal. The food is arranged not haphazardly but in a way
that helps the food look appealing. For example, in some dishes, pieces are
placed with the veins clearly visible so that the blood still inside them
can be seen. A diner transfers a portion to his or her plate ({jengva'},
though the plural form is {ngop} ["plates"]), if one is available, by
simply grabbing the desired quantity of food with a hand. If the {'elpI'}
("serving platter") is not close by, it is quite acceptable to just reach
across the table or to walk around the table to a more convenient position.
If necessary, two hands may be used to break off (wItlh) a slab of the
desired fare. If {ngop} ("plates") are provided, they will probably be in a
pile somewhere on the table. It is acceptable to reach over and grab one;
it is not acceptable to ask someone else to grab a plate and pass it down.
If there is no pile of plates, none will be furnished, and it is quite
improper to ask for one." (KGT 99)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons