tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 17 20:12:06 1999

My Poem

I recently had to create a creative journal for my Illiteracy class, and decided the best way to do so was in Klingon.  I took inspiration from the Klingon proverb "ghojwI'pu'lI' tISaH."  Please comment on content and grammar.

Qapla'

T'Lod

In Klingon:

ghojwI’pu’lI’ tISaH

by James Johnson

ghojwI’pu’lI’ tISaH.

yIghojmoHchu’ tIghmeychaj mojnISmo’ tIghmaj

tugh qa’meHpu’ma’ moj chaH.

ghojwI’pu’lI’ tISaH

chaH poQ pIq law’’e’

taHmeH quv’e’ tIghmaj SovnIS

batlh yInmeH mIw DI’aghnIS

mataHmeH maH’e’ tIghmaj SovnIS chaH’e’

ghojwI’pu’lI’ tISaH

laDmeH ‘ej qonmeH mIw yI’agh

ghojwI’ nIvqu’ qonwI’ nIvqu’ joq moj chaH’e’

batlh yInmeH mIw yI’agh

DevwI’ nIvqu’ moj chaH’e’

QubmeH ‘ej ghojmeH mIw yI’agh

puqpu’chaj ghojmoHmeH mIw yI’agh je

ghojwI’pu’lI’ tISaH

wIchenmoHbogh qo’Daq QapnISchu’

mataHmeH maSachnIS

tIghmaj puqpu’ DIghojnISmoH

mataHmeH no’chaj tIghmey lughojnISmoH puqpu’ma’

tIghpu’maj ghojmoHbe’chugh maHeghbej

mavon’eghlu’pu’be’ neH, ‘ach Hoch qorDu’ma’ je DIlon

puqpu’lI’vaD nugh tIghmey DaghojmoHbe’chugh, bIvonlu’pu’

ghojwI’pu’lI’ tISaH.

Now, in English:

Care about your students

by James Johnson

Care about your students.

Teach them well because our ways must become theirs.

They will replace us soon.

Care about your students

The future depends on them

If honor is to survive, they must know our ways.

We must show them how to live.

If we are to survive, they must know our ways.

Care about your students

Show them how to read and write

That they might be great scholars or poets

Show them how to be honorable

That they might be great leaders

Show them how to think and learn

That they might also show their children as well

Care about your students

They must be able to function in the world we created

In order to survive we must expand

Our ways must be passed on to our children

In order to continue, our children must learn the ways of their ancestors.

If they fail to learn our ways, we will die.

We will have failed not only ourselves, but all our families

Those who do not teach their children the ways of our society have already failed.

Care about your students.

QaQ'a'?

Back to archive top level