tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 15 12:16:05 1999

mu'ghommey le'

ja' malqa <[email protected]>:
>I"m doing my own lists by hand .. so I can add in easily with looseleaf
>papers as I go through the 2-3 lists in TKD.

Depending on how you count, there are either two or four lists:  The
original TKD in both Klingon-English and English-Klingon order, plus
the Addendum K-E and E-K.  The affix lists just before the appendix
are important as well.

Putting them on paper gets you most of the benefit of the project.
You'll force each word through your brain as it goes from your eyes
to your hands. :-)  And the end result won't be as amenable to abuse
as an electronic dictionary would be.  For a year or more, I had only
TKD and my handwritten "cheat sheets".  I finally got a computerized
translator, and I was able to read large posts much more quickly by
using it instead of opening the book.  But I soon noticed that I had
stopped learning vocabulary -- it was easier to rely on the crutch.
So I threw away all my translation tools and made my own small paper
dictionary.  It seems that for most people, looking up a word in a
book all the time is harder than remembering it, so the brain goes
ahead and remembers it in self-defense. :-)

Now that I've memorized almost all of the vocabulary, I have permitted
myself the luxury of a computerized tool again.  But I use it mostly
for reference when I'm explaining things, or if I'm not sure whether
it's spelled with a {'} at the end or not.  I don't resort to it for
immediate help when I'm reading someone else's message.  Usually I'm
able to remember the word after seeing enough context to give a good
clue as to its meaning.

>Bu tnow I realize that not
>all words were listed ..

There are a *lot* of missing entries in the English-Klingon half of
the main dictionary, and a handful of near misses where the English
idea appears on both sides but the Klingon word is not the same.

>I found in leafing through that je' (buy) is not
>in the tlhIngan Hol section ,

{je'} is not one of the problem words.  It's there on page 90.  You
might be getting confused by the "alphabetical" order convention.
The apostrophe character comes after the y character.

>now I have to double check every verb before
>going onto the nouns ..

You certainly must double-check every word.  You'll sometimes find small
hints in meaning on one side that aren't listed on the other.

>but I do see patterns ,in some words that I didnt'
>see before ,as I rewrite them into lists.

These "patterns" might be useful for helping you remember the words, but
it's probably best not to use them as a basis for anything else.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level