tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 10 07:52:46 1999

Re: RE: tlhIngan irc chat room

On Tue, 9 Nov 1999 16:28:13 -0500 (EST) malqa
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I"m doing my own lists by hand .. so I can add in easily with looseleaf
> papers as I go through the 2-3 lists in TKD. Bu tnow I realize that not
> all words were listed .. I found in leafing through that je' (buy) is not
> in the tlhIngan Hol section ,now I have to double check every verb before
> going onto the nouns ..but I do see patterns ,in some words that I didnt'
> see before ,as I rewrite them into lists.

DaH bIyajchoH! There is no better way to gain familiarity with
the words than to copy them one by one and cross check them
between the two sides of the dictionary and between different
word lists, like the original list, the appendix and KGT. The
letter "w" becomes significant as you look for words missing
from one side of the dictionary, for example. The word
"cooperate" is particularly uncooperative. Enjoy. Those lazy
enough to never endeavor to handle each word will never fully
understand what you are beginning to understand.

charghwI'

> Lt.Commander Maud Freifelder /Lt.Commander malqa
> Chief Security Officer /Chief of Cadet Corps.
> USS Triumph NCC-26228/R2/ Starfleet
> (Triumph Against All Odds)
>
> jIjatlhpa' jatlh Hovmey (The stars will talk before I will)
>
> On Tue, 9 Nov 1999, Steven Boozer wrote:
>
> > malqa:
> > > Also, this may sound nuts but I'm making a list of all
> > > verb,then will do nouns as a way to help me become more
> > > familiar with the words instead of the way they are
> > > listed in TKD .
> >
> > pagh:
> > : That doesn't sound nuts at all. Most of the skilled Klingon speakers have
> > : compiled their own dictionaries. Doing it is a really helpful exercise.
> >
> > Exactly.  You certainly won't remember *all* of the Klingon words after
> > manually typing them into your dictionary -- at least I didn't -- but doing so
> > will help you remember which words are available (and which aren't).  Had I not
> > done so I wouldn't never have dreamed there were translations for "paper clip",
> > "writer's cramp", "pajamas" and (I kid you not!) "deodorant".
> >
> > Organize your personal dictionary any way you want -- alphabetically, by parts
> > of speech, or even thematically (food, weapons, ships, body parts, etc.).  With
> > your word processor's "Find" feature, you can quickly and easily search the
> > document.
> >

> > --
> > Voragh
> > Ca'Non Master of the Klingons