tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 31 10:19:06 1999

Fwd: RE: Translation

Mark Riser wrote: >
> What do you think would be an appropriate translation for
> "sheet music?"
> The best that I could come up with was "QoQ nav."
> However, this may simply refer to the paper
> on which music is written, rather than an
> actual sheet of music.

I had this question too, and forwarded it on to our esteemed first
Grammarian. Here's his reply.

jatlh HoD Qanqor:
 Just off the top of my head, how about QoQ ghItlh.
ghItlh as a noun is, as I recall, "manuscript",
and we know that the verb very definitely has the connotation of
written-down (as opposed to just composed).
Now, here too there might be a slight ambiguity,
because on its own,
one might be inclined to think of QoQ ghItlh as maybe
being the full score (assuming some large, orchestral piece)
as opposed to the sheet music for an individual player.

Another shot in the dark:  QoQ nab.  But again, the same problems.

The truth is, this is just a tough one.  We don't have a word for
it, and trying to come up with a descriptive phrase leads to the
"hindsight" pitfall.  Maybe the safest route is to really go for
a descriptive phrase rather than a translation, so that at least
what you get is (relatively) unambiguous, even if it is long and
clunky.

Something like:  navDaq QoQ ghItlhlu'pu'bogh.

 		--Krankor

===
Qor'etlh valwI'na', Daq marr tuq, tlhIngan wo' Duj QonoS qa'
qepHom 'utlhHom - Klingon Language Institute.
{qo'mey poSmoH Hol}language opens worlds /
Maybe I'm wrong, but I am always Qor'etlh.
{nuq, vISaH?} - What, me worry? -
{yIn nI' yISIQ 'ej pechep.}
{Qapla' batlh je!}