tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 31 09:57:00 1999

<batlh quv je>

jatlh pagh:

><batlh quv je> is probably best translated as just "honor". I have my own
>theories on the differences between <batlh> and <quv>, and I would have just
>said <quv>, but I won't speculate about that here.

------

You chose not to speculate then; how about now?  I'd be honored to learn what theories you and others have on this score (other than that /quv/ can be a verb and /batlh/ an adverbial).  Even a subtle distinction in meaning must be tremendously revealing in a culture built on warrior values (something like the ten or however many words for snow in Inuit culture).

In the same vein:  Is the relationship between /noH/ and /veS/ (recently discussed) similar to that between /may'/ and /vIq/?  What about the distinctions between /Suv/, /ghob/, and /Qoj/ and between /SuvwI'/ and /vaj/?

qa'ral

Back to archive top level