tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 29 00:42:25 1999

Re: -ngan

[email protected] schrieb:
>  >\tlhI/ 'oSghach boSov'a' vay'?
>  >[does anyone know the meaning of \tlhI/] is this correct?

I dunno if this has been anserwed yet, I haven't followed the whole
discussion.

Looks like you're analyzing {tlhIngan}. You found {ngan}.
In the first episodes of Star Trek, the Klingon homeworld was called
"Kling". The producers (or someone else) thought it was a too silly name
for a Warrior's planet, so they changed it to Kronos. "Kling" later
became the name of the then First City, the "capital" of the Klingon
Empire. Thus Klingons were "the inhabitants of Kling", or {tlhIn ngan}.
Through time, thess words became one word {tlhInngan}, and because of
assimiliation of sounds (see chapter 5 KGT, p.139+) it became
{tlhIngan}.

I don't know where I have this from, it's probably not canon, but it
makes sense.

:-)

muHwI'

Back to archive top level