tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 23 06:32:22 1999

RE: Klingon Unity (was Re: Cardassians, et. al.)

Meanwhile, understanding that this is a language with a great
focus on verbs, I very much prefer sentences that DO something.

On Mon, 22 Mar 1999 15:46:50 -0800 (PST) david joslyn
<[email protected]> wrote:

> The noun-phrase idea sits better with me, somehow.
>
> Sormey law' 'ach wa' ngem

muv Sormey law'; chen wa' ngem.

> yuQmey law' 'ach wa' wo'

muv yuQmey law'. chen wa' wo'.

> jatmey law' 'ach wa' Hol

jeS jatmey law'. wa' Hol lujatlh.

> quljIb

charghwI' 'utlh

> ======
> On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, Andeen, Eric wrote:
>
> > jatlh quljIb:
> >
> > > law' Sormey 'ach wa' ngem
> > > law' yuQmey 'ach wa' wo'
> > > law' jatmey 'ach wa' Hol
> >
> > The first bits - <law' Sormey>, etc. - are complete sentences: "The trees
> > are many". The second bits - <wa' ngem> - are not. This lack of symmetry is
> > disturbing somehow.
> >
> > You could put the <law'> after the nouns - <Sormey law'> - and just make the
> > sentence into a noun phrase. You could also make the second bits into
> > complete sentences.
> >
> > > Many trees   - one forest
> > > Many worlds  - one Empire
> > > Many tongues - one language
> >
> > > Sormey Hol, HuDmey Hol, Hovmey Hol je ghoj vIneH. :-)
> >

> > pagh
> > Beginners' Grammarian
> >
> > tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ
> > http://www.bigfoot.com/~dspeers/klingon/faq.htm