tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 23 06:25:21 1999

Re: RE: wej vIghro'meywIj

quljIb,

The problem you've accidentally stumbled into is that Klingons,
having few words to describe color, use {rur} to be more
specific about the color of that which is being described. The
typical form is to say what color something is, and then say
that it resembles something of the more specific hue you want
to indicate.

The problem with the way YOU state it is that you are saying
that it has a color, then saying that it resembles something
else while your INTENT is to say that it resembles it IN
PATTERN, not IN COLOR. So, where is the clue for us to know that
you mean for us to be looking at the pattern and not the color?

Well, you don't give us a clue. You just expect us to think they
way you thought when you were writing.

Realize that {rur} is a very flexible verb. One thing resembles
another. Maybe they are of similar size or color or shape or
pattern or breed or mood or verbosity or character or fuel
mileage or sharpness or strength or lineage or ... There are a
lot of different ways that things can resemble each other.

The most natural way to specify what you mean by {rur} is to
preceed it with a sentence talking about the quality which is
similar between the things being compared. Unfortunately, we
don't have a Klingon word for "pattern" yet. We have very few
words to talk about images or textures.

If I had to say this, I'd probably come up with:

vIghro'vam veD vIleghDI' ngemHey vIleghlaw'. ngemna'Daq
vIHHa'DI' vIghro'vam So'choHlu'.

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level