tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 20 13:33:19 1999

Re: Fresh Food in Space

ja' quljIb:
>Okay, I rewrote and "spell-checked" my question.
>
>chu'qa'meH muD bIQ je, naHmey qeng'a' tlhIngan Duj?

"In order for the atmosphere and water to resume being new, do Klingon
ships [or does a Klingon ship] carry fruits/vegetables?"

maj.  This question is clear and grammatically unassailable, with only a
minor and trivial ambiguity as to the number of ships being considered.
The next sentence clarifies that you're talking about multiple ships, so
you could have said {Dujmey} here.

{naH} usually refers to the part of a plant which is eaten as food.  I'm
pretty sure you're not interested in the "food" part of the idea.  Perhaps
{tI} "vegetation" would be a more appropriate word.

>ghagh luqeng net Sov 'ach Ha'DIbaHmey je qeng'a'?

"One knows that they carry {qagh}, but do they carry animals and?"

When using {je} this way, it is placed *after* the verb.  See TKD 5.3.
{Ha'DIbaHmey qeng'a' je?} "do they also carry animals?"

>bIQDep ngaSwI'mey pIpyuS joq geng tlhIngan may'Dujmey 'e' vIleghlaH.

"I can see that Klingon battle cruisers carry fish containers and/or pipius."

I thought you didn't want to say "see" literally for this idea.

>Is there a Klingon phrase for "aquaculture"?

If you're referring to herding fish, there isn't an obvious way to say
it.  The Klingon vocabulary has terms for agriculture, but animals are
apparently *hunted*.  Take a look at the verb {Sep} "breed" -- I can't
find the reference to breeding animals in KGT right now, but I'm pretty
sure it's there somewhere.

><bIQDep Hol> fish science perhaps?

{Hol} is "language".  {bIQDep Hol} seems to refer to the squeaks and
whistles produced by dolphins and whales.  The word for science is {QeD}.

>Or better yet <wIjbogh bIQDep Hol> science of fish that are
>farmed? Would Klingons even bother with such specialized fields?

Accounting for the {Hol/QeD} confusion, you've said "the science of fish
who farm."  For "fish that are farmed", you might be able to say something
like {bIQDep wIjlu'bogh}, but I don't know if the verb {wIj} "farm" takes
an object.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level