tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 20 15:51:57 1999

Re: Fresh Food in Space

On Sat, 20 Mar 1999, Alan Anderson wrote:

> ja' quljIb:
> >Okay, I rewrote and "spell-checked" my question.
> >
> >chu'qa'meH muD bIQ je, naHmey qeng'a' tlhIngan Duj?
>
> "In order for the atmosphere and water to resume being new, do Klingon
> ships [or does a Klingon ship] carry fruits/vegetables?"

[snip]
> {naH} usually refers to the part of a plant which is eaten as food.  I'm
> pretty sure you're not interested in the "food" part of the idea.  Perhaps
> {tI} "vegetation" would be a more appropriate word.

No, I specifically ment {naHmey}. As I said before: outside ceremonial
readons and/or a ship captain's personal taste, why would Klingons bother
with vegetation they can't eat? Having {naH} aboard kills two birds with
one stone.

> >ghagh luqeng net Sov 'ach Ha'DIbaHmey je qeng'a'?
>
> "One knows that they carry {qagh}, but do they carry animals and?"

[snip]
> >bIQDep ngaSwI'mey pIpyuS joq geng tlhIngan may'Dujmey 'e' vIleghlaH.
>
> "I can see that Klingon battle cruisers carry fish containers and/or pipius."
>
> I thought you didn't want to say "see" literally for this idea.

No I didn't but...oh, in the name of {veghlar}!(mumbles something
derogatory under his breath about grammarians and androids) .-)

> >Is there a Klingon phrase for "aquaculture"?
>
> If you're referring to herding fish, there isn't an obvious way to say
> it.  The Klingon vocabulary has terms for agriculture, but animals are
> apparently *hunted*.  Take a look at the verb {Sep} "breed" -- I can't
> find the reference to breeding animals in KGT right now, but I'm pretty
> sure it's there somewhere.

Well, there is that long-horned ox-like beast mentioned in Freidman's
novel, Kahless - what's it called?

> ><bIQDep Hol> fish science perhaps?
>
> {Hol} is "language".  {bIQDep Hol} seems to refer to the squeaks and
> whistles produced by dolphins and whales.  The word for science is {QeD}.
>
> >Or better yet <wIjbogh bIQDep Hol> science of fish that are
> >farmed? Would Klingons even bother with such specialized fields?
>
> Accounting for the {Hol/QeD} confusion, you've said "the science of fish
> who farm."  For "fish that are farmed", you might be able to say something
> like {bIQDep wIjlu'bogh}, but I don't know if the verb {wIj} "farm" takes
> an object.

Oh, gods! That's got to be the MOST EMBARRESSING mistake I've EVER made!

What about something like <bIQDep wIjghach> "fish farming"?

quljIb

Back to archive top level