tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 20 13:33:20 1999

Re: Klingon Prodginy and Brotherhood

ja' quljIb:
>Prodginy:

I believe you want the word "progeny", meaning descendents or offspring.

>...There is a term - no longer in
>use, and seldom used when it was - that elegantly conveys generational
>decent: thirdson. Your grandson's son. Somehow this sounds (to me at
>least) decidedly Klingon. Thus, *<cha'puqwI'> my secondchild (grandchlid)
>and *<wejpuqwI'> my thirdchild (grandchild' child...

I doubt it very much.  Numbers preceding nouns are used for counting how
many of a thing there are.  Even assuming that numbers can be compounded
with nouns in the first place, {wejpuqwI'} would most likely be something
like "my three-children", and implies triplets to me.  Ordinal numbers in
Klingon come after the nouns they label, and carry the suffix {-DIch}.

>Brotherhood:

I won't comment much on your speculation, except to point out that there
are certainly rituals that form bonds of brotherhood between people who
are not genetically related (such as the {ruStay} "bonding ritual").

I'll also call your attention to the terms {maqoch} and {chaj}.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level