tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 19 07:49:11 1999

Re: The Naked Stars and *klingonaase*

:qel Voragh:
:> "Naked stars" is itself an especial problem.  I've seen {Hovmey
:> lu'anglu'bogh}, {Hovmey luleghlaHbogh vay'}, {tuQbe'bogh Hovmey} and
:> even{Sut lutuQbe'bogh Hovmey}.  None of these feel right to me for an
:> oft-repeated sentiment.  Perhaps something less literal: {Hovmey wov}
:> the bright stars", {Hovmey boch} "the shiny stars" or {bochbogh Hovmey}
:> "the shining stars"?
:
: Hovmey Huv "the clear, unobstructed stars"
:
: --jey'el

jItuHqu'!  (DopDaq qul yIchenmoH QobDI' ghu'.)  pup 'oH <Hovmey Huv>'e'.

Both jey'el and charghwI' came up with this perfect translation.  I've
added it to my notes for the next time this proverb is mentioned on the
list.  Now, if only John Ford had told us how to say it in klingonaase!

Speaking of which, is there anyone on the list interested in discussing
klingonaase and working out some of its grammar and vocabulary from the
fragments in "The Final Reflection" and the FASA game materials?  I've
played around with it now and would like to hear other opinions.  Dr
Lawrence has always maintained that the Klingon Language Institute was
created for the study of *all* the Klingon languages, not just Marc
Okrand's more developed tlhIngan Hol.

I propose tagging subject lines with "[KLINGONAASE]" so those not
interested can avoid those threads until we are able to set up a sub-list,
if there is sufficient interest.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons