tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 19 08:42:42 1999

Re: Darghtay (was Re: muvtay)

jey'el:
>I think it's interesting that KGT p.96f., which describes the Tea Ceremony
>briefly, doesn't give any Klingon term for it.

ghunchu'wI':
: The Klingon term is undoubtedly {Dargh tay} "Tea Ceremony".  Both of these
: words were added to the dictionary in the 1992 edition, after TNG had been
: around for a while.  Obviously the Tea Ceremony was being accommodated. :-)

A very good point.  The one word (compound?) {taymey} are:

	chontay  		ritual hunt
	ruStay  		bonding ritual (the R'uustai)
	nentay  		Rite of Ascension
	Heghtay  		death ritual

Note that these all commemorate basic Klingon life experiences: hunting for
food, adoption into a family, coming of age, and death.  These may be very
old indeed.  I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the words for "mating
ritual" or "marriage ceremony" are of this type.

The only Okrandian two word (analytic?) {tay} is:

	qutluch tay  	Kut'luch Ceremony

This seems to be a ritual created (much later?) around a specific artifact,
no doubt originating in one region of Kronos then spreading out to the
general population as the planet became unified.  *{Dargh tay} may be
another example of this, probably coming from that part of Kronos where the
unnamed toxic white flower used in the ceremony - called in fandom the
B'zhee blossom by some, night-blooming throgni by others - is native.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level