tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 05 15:27:12 1999

RE: KLBC: comparative inquiries

jatlh loD Doq:

> When asking a question, the question-forming word (who or what) takes the
> place of the noun of its answer. I wanted to try and say some comparative
> inquiries (in particular "which one of you is oldest"), here are my
> results:

> 'Iv qan law' Hoch qan puS?	"Who is the oldest of all?"

> (That question asks who the oldest person in existance is,
> not quite what I was reaching for)

> 'Iv qan law' tlhIh qan puS?		"Who is older than you?"

> (That question implies that the answer is not included in
> the asked group, also not what I was going for)

Interesting questions. I don't know that we have ever seen an example of
this, but it should work. I would expect it to be fine with <'Iv> and <nuq>,
and also with a noun followed by <'ar>. The other question words might get a
bit tricky.

> [DaH tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhchoH 'e' yIchaw'...]

maj.

> 'e' parpu'mo', mu'tlheghvam vInIDta': <qupra' 'Iv>
> (yonmoHHa'ghach rap vISuq).

nuq parlu'? <'e'> is a pronoun refering to the previous topic, but I don't
know what that is. Also, what is the subject of <par>. Did you mean <parlu'>
rather than <parpu'>?

Also, <yonHa'moHghach rap vISuq> (note suffix order) is a really awkward way
of saying <vIyonHa'moHlu' je>, yes?

> ***vIyajlaHbe' neH! mu'mey chu' (vay' ghap) vISuqnIS.
> boghaj'a'?***

jIyajbe' jIH. Duy'be'law' pablIj, 'ach Dapna' bIHlaw' mu'tlheghlIj'e'. nuq
Dayajbe'? qatlh mu'mey chu' DaSuqnIS? chay' mu'mey chu' Suqlu' jay'??

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level