tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 05 16:00:13 1999

RE: KLBC: yIHnaQ

On 05-Mar-99, Rose, Thornton (Atlanta) wrote:
> [...]

for-me a-kipper you-cook. Breakfast, I-eat-it-for, I-return.

Smoking is a preservation method. So I reckon the original poster had the
right idea using the word tlhIch somewhere.

Would "I-return-for-breakfast" work alone? e.g. {nIQ vIcheghmeH}.
Even with the original English phrase the eating is only implied. For all
anyone knows you might be returning with the intention of slapping someone
around the face with a wet (or dried and soot-stained) fish. Would the
directness of Klingon culture require the qualification of eating?

As kipper is a name of something (and that burnt animal e.g. kipper is not
likely to be on a Klingon menu) the first method was probably most correct. I
think people here prefer people to just quote the word using whatever method
this list favours, and dont bother transliterating it. It might need
subtitling/describing for the peeps that dont know what one is though.
Besides, something vaguely to do with hitting labels, might appear cannon
later. {telDu' ghajchugh Suy'mey} (Did I get that right?)

So one night later (with a bit of help to speed things up) we end up with
something like:

{jIHvaD *kipper* yItlhIch. nIQ vIcheghmeH}

Strictly speaking {tlhIch} is a noun, and shouldnt be used like this - but
some nouns are the same as verbs. How do you know which nouns can act like
verbs or vice-versa? Can we only use cannon examples?

Anyone need to shoot the resulting attempt full of holes?

Thanks,
--
   Jeremy Silver   |\   [email protected]
 __________________| \  [email protected]
                   |  | A1200, Blizzard 1260, 34Mb
 mupwI' yI'uchtaH! |__| 1.4Gb HD. Amiga Forever.

Back to archive top level