tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 01 07:48:11 1999

RE: The restaurant where we ate.

jatlh Zrajm C Akfohg:

> I was reading the section in the TKD concerning "Relative Clauses" when I
> came across the following text (page 63):

>   Relative clauses are translated into English as phrases beginning with
>   "who", "which", "where", and, most commonly, "that". Like adjectives,
>   they describe nouns: "the dog which is running", "the cat that is
>   sleeping",  "the child who is playing", "the restaurant where we ate".

> The exaple phrases should be quite easy to translate:

>   "the targ which is running"     -- {qetbogh targh}
>   "the tribble that is sleeping"  -- {Qongbogh yIH}
>   "the child who is playing"      -- {reHbogh puq}

> But how are one supposed to say "the restaurant where we ate"?!

> {Qe' wISopbogh} would mean "the restaurant *which* we ate" and that
> feels a bit wrong...

You have come across the famous "ship in which I fled" problem. The FAQ
actually has a section on it:

http://www.bigfoot.com/~dspeers/klingon/faq.htm#3.6

In general, it's not possible to construct phrases like this. The best thing
to do in this case is to rephrase. Try something like just using <Qe'> by
itself and adding <Qe'vetlhDaq maSop> to clarify.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level