tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 01 07:40:51 1999

RE: Hoch/HochHom, etc. re response

jIjatlh:

> ... If the question word itself goes at the beginning of
> the sentence like an adverbial (ghorgh, chay', qatlh, nuqDaq),
> then I always put the question first. I don't know if we have
> any evidence for or against this, but it feels right to me.

jatlh T'Lod:

> In MO's response giving us 'arlogh and qen, he put qen before
> 'arlogh, making qen 'arlogh Qoylu'pu' - Recently, how many times
> has one heard it?  And that a time stamp came before the question
> word in Today, how many times has one heard it?

> In MO's words -
> DaHjaj 'arlogh Qoylu'pu'?

> That is, "Today, how many times has someone heard it?"
> (<DaHjaj> "today"), suggesting that the questioner is
> concerned about how much time has gone by "today" (as
> opposed to, say, "this week").

> Or maybe the fuller expression was a little less specific:

>    qen 'arlogh Qoylu'pu'?

> "Recently, how many times has someone heard it?" (<qen>
> "recently, a short time ago").

HIvqa' veqlargh. The word "always" was not a very good choice. I do have to
agree that timestamps like <DaHjaj> and <qen> would go at the beginning of a
sentence, even before a question word.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level