tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 23 07:56:04 1999

Re: KLBC: 'Iv & nuq

[email protected] asks:
: << Is it possible for the words {'Iv} and {nuq} to be used in sentences
:  that are not questions?  I'm trying to translate Abbot and Costello's
:  'Who's on first' sketch (yes I know, I'm being silly again), and the
:  comedy value rapidly deteriorates if {'Iv} and {nuq} can only be used as
:  questions.  >>

I'm not sure I see the problem.  Why don't you post the full routine here
on the list and we'll all play around with it?

T'Lod answers:
: As far as TKD, I recall these words acting as nouns for the purpose of
: prefixes, but not saying they are nouns.

If you assume that {'Iv} and {nuq} are also players' names, much of the
humor should survive intact, though you would have to rewrite it a little.
For example (leaving aside how to translate a baseball "base" for the
moment), {Daq wa'DIchDaq 'Iv?} can only mean "Who's on first?" as a
question.  If {'Iv} were a name, you would have to say in Standard Klingon:
{Daq wa'DIchDaq ghaHtaH 'Iv?} using {ghaHtaH} as a link verb, which blows
the joke.

Perhaps if one or both of the parts were played by speakers of a regional
dialect - say one which doesn't use {ghaH} as a copula or uses it with all
question words? - or Terrans whose Klingon isn't very good.

Keep in mind that {'Iv} "who" and {nuq} "what" are NOT used as relative
pronouns as in English, which are often translated using {-bogh}: {qetbogh
loD} "the man who is running, the running man", {vay' DaneHbogh} "what you
desire, that which you want".

FYI, here's how Okrand has used {Iv} and {nuq}:

	yaS legh 'Iv
	Who sees the officer? TKD

	'Iv legh yaS
	Whom does the officer see? TKD

	SoH 'Iv?
	Who are you? CK

	SoH 'Iv jay'?!
 [Who the $%#@ are you? (untranslated)] ST6

	Question words (in this case, {nuq} what?) function the same way
	pronouns do in questions with to be in the English translations.
	Thus, the question {yIH nuq?} "What is a tribble?" is exactly
	parallel the statement {yIH 'oH} "It is a tribble" ... The answer
	to the question {yIH nuq?} (What is a tribble?) would presumably
	be a definition or description of a tribble.  (st.klingon)

	qaStaH nuq jay'
	What the #$*@ is happening? TKD/ST6

	Duj ghoStaH nuq
	What is coming toward the ship? TKD