tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 25 16:20:54 1999

Re: {qIm} and {qImHa'}

ja' ~mark:
>Huh.  Me, I just assumed that the canon {qImHa'} clarified the meaning of
>{qIm}, that {qIm} really *does* take an object.  Obviously, like all
>intransitives, it can be used without one, but it certainly does seem
>reasonable to me that it means "to pay attention TO SOMETHING."

ghunchu'wI':
: I'm going to stick with the more restricted definitions given to us, at
: least until such time as looser ones are made official by Okrand.  With
: the knowledge that suffixed verbs are in the dictionary just to make it
: easier to look them up, I'm going to take the definition of {qIm} as an
: absolutely correct one.

Have you received the new HolQeD #32 yet?  There's a new (old?) example of
{qIm} taking an object in Okrand's notes from ST5:

  jemS tIy qIrq. loDHom jIHDI' qIrq qun vIqImchoH.
  James T. Kirk. I've followed his history since I was a boy.

This complements another transitive example which was heard in the film:

  HeDaj yIqIm
  Track her course! ST5

--
Voragh