tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 08 17:10:56 1999

RE: KLBC: adjectives

jeyD:
> Can verbs functioning as an adjective take any other suffix
> other than -qu' ?  mainly -be' ?

pagh:
: We have seen both <-be'> and <-Ha'> on verbs functioning as adjectives. An
: example for <-be'> comes from the counting section of the Conversational
: Klingon audiotape. I think the number is seven, but I could be wrong:
:     Soch yIHmey lI'be' - Eight useless tribbles.

  wa'maH yIHmey lI'be'
  ten useless tribbles CK

: I don't remember any of the examples for <-Ha'> offhand, but if you're
: curious, either Voragh or I could find some.

Here are a few:

bel     be pleased
belHa'  be displeased (TKD glossary p.80)

Do'     be fortunate, be lucky
Do'Ha'  be unfortunate, be unlucky

jej     be sharp
jejHa'  be dull (not sharp) TKW, be blunt (of blades) KGT

jot     be calm
jotHa'  be uneasy

matlh     be loyal
matlhHa'  be disloyal KGT

ngaD     be stable, be balanced KGT
ngaDHa'  be unstable, be unbalanced KGT

Keep in mind that when you add some suffixes, the verb is no longer an
adjective-like quality but becomes active:

belmoH  [please (someone)]
 - qabelmoH'a'?
   Do I please you? PK

bIr  be cold
bIrchoH  [grow cold] PK
 - bIrchoH SuvwI' 'Iw
   The blood of the warrior grows cold. PK

boch  shine, be shiny
bochmoH  [shine (something)]
 -  ghIchwIj DabochmoHchugh ghIchlIj qanob.
    If you shine my nose, I will give you your nose. PK

so this limits your choices somewhat.  jeyD, If I knew what suffixes you
were thinking of specifically, I could search for examples in my notes.

: > I want to say complex/not simple  data transmission
: > (jabbI'ID napbe')   Is there a better way to say this?
:
: Well, the verb <Qatlh> means both "be difficult" and "be complex". I've
: always been a little ambivalent about using it in this way, but it might
: work.

  motlh ray' luSamlaHmeH De' Qatlh cha' tlhIngan Duj jIH'a'
  The main viewer on a Klingon ship is usually overlaid with a
   complex target acquisition grid. SP3

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons