tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 06 16:36:22 1999

Re: Translating the word "Klingon" into other languages?

On 6 Dec 1999, Regina Reusser wrote:

> jatlh michka:
> > In English its "Klingon" and then in the warrior's tongue its
> > "tlhIngan-Hol".
> >
> > Do any of the (non-English) folks on this list have any conventions for
> > whether or not to translate it to other languages? I am tempted to keep it
> > tlhIngan-Hol in all langs, truth be told.
> >
> > michka
>
> jIjatlh
> Well, in German it's "Klingonisch", but I also prefer to say "tlhIngan
> Hol". I also was on a swedish Homepage which told something about Klingon
> Language, and there it was called "Klingonska".
>
> Regina

That is correct, in swedish the language
'Klingon' is called 'klingonska' (no need for
an uppercase initial). A member of the race
is still spelled 'klingon' in swedish but we
pronounce it slightly different from the
english way.

/Paul Reinerfelt
Student of Computer Science in Lund, Sweden
http://www.ludat.lth.se/~dat93pre  ICQ: 7798805

Back to archive top level