tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 23 11:20:27 1998

Re: je

On Mon, 23 Nov 1998 08:12:26 -0800 (PST) Eduardo Fonseca
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> "The noun conjunction {je} has an additional function:
> when it follows a verb, it means "also, too".  TKD 55.
>

>     But, if I say:
>
> "The boy is clever and his sister too" {val loDHom 'ej val be'nI'Daj je}

Note that this can be stated a little more clearly if, as the
description tells you, the {je} comes after the VERB:

val loDHom 'ej val je be'nI'Daj.

> Can the conjunction {je} follow the noun instead of verb?

No. Not if you want the meaning "also, too".

> Or I must say {val loDHom be'nI'Daj je}.

That is the simpler use of {je} as a conjunction for the nouns.
The boy AND his sister are clever.

> And an other sentence, pehaps a bit ambiguious:
> {pu'HIch qengtaHbogh 'avwI'vaD taj nob loDHom 'ej jIH je}

It is not so much ambiguous as poorly stated. {'ej} connects
sentences. {jIH je} is not a sentence. As a slang term, it might
be meaningful, but then we have no guidelines for Klingon slang
except for a few words and phrases. {jIH je} is not one of those
phrases we know to be valid.

> "The boy gave the knife to the guard which is carring the
> phaser pistol and me too"

As has already been pointed out, this is an odd English
sentence. Likely, the clearest way to handle this in Klingon is
to stop trying to pile so much into one sentence. How many
knives are we talking about? Can you give a knife to more than
one person? As a minor note, a guard is not a thing, so you
should use "who" and not "which". If you mean:

The guard gave the knife to me and to the guard who is carrying
the phaser pistol, then try:

pu'HIch qengtaHbogh 'avwI''e' vItlhej. taj nunob loDHom.

I accompany a guard who carries a phaser pistol. A boy gives us
the knife.

Meanwhile, this steps away from what you say you are seeking,
which is to learn how to use {je}.

Well, to use {je}, follow the directions. Put it after a list of
nouns to join nouns together, meaning "and". Put it after a verb
to mean "also".

mu'meyvam DIyajlaH je SoH jIH je.

You and I can also understand these words. You and I can
understand these words, too.

> Edy

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level