tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 23 11:15:27 1998

Re: DS9: Once More into the Breach

qaSDI' 08:40 AM 11/23/98 -0800, ghItlh chargwI'
:
>On Sun, 22 Nov 1998 23:46:55 -0800 (PST) David Trimboli
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>There are basic flaws in a lot of the Klingon spoken there, like
>placing the conjunction {je} BETWEEN nouns instead of following
>them and such. It does have its share of changed subtitles, like
>the line about space junk not testing the warrior's mettle. I
>have less problems with that, but I did not see that kind of
>blatant error in ST3 as the misplaced conjunction, or the
>jumbled mess about the captain's merits.

Actually, it was full of little screw ups.  Such as the lack of prefix, and
suffix use.  For example:

			"jolopa' yIjaH" (The suffix "Daq" absent)

		"He chu' ghoS, DI'vI' neHmaH."  (The "yI" prefix not used)

In his characteristically charitable way, Okrand created the concept of
"clipped Klingon" to account for this.

SuSvaj

Back to archive top level