tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 23 08:46:45 1998

RE: je

>Greetings!
>
>"The noun conjunction {je} has an additional function:
>when it follows a verb, it means "also, too".  TKD 55.
>
>    But, if I say:
>
> "The boy is clever and his sister too" {val loDHom 'ej val be'nI'Daj je}

If I remember 11th grade advanced grammar correctly, in this sentence
you are using a construct that is called an elliptical clause (from the
term "ellipsis", implying that you are leaving out something that can
be assumed by the reader). So, before you translate this into tlhIngan
Hol, you should recast it to "The boy is clever, and his sister is
clever, too." Of course, you can be more succicnt and say "The boy and
his sister are clever."

>Can the conjunction {je} follow the noun instead of verb?
>Or I must say {val loDHom be'nI'Daj je}.

No. If you want to use {je} as "also, too" in the sentence above, here
is one way to do it: {val loDHom je val je be'nI'Daj}.

(You might even use commas to offset the use of {je}, but it's not
necessary: {val loDHom je val, je, be'nI'Daj.} Also, if it helps, think
of Yoda reading the sentence. It might go something like this: "Is
clever the boy, and is clever, too, his sister.")

>And an other sentence, pehaps a bit ambiguious:
>{pu'HIch qengtaHbogh 'avwI'vaD taj nob loDHom 'ej jIH je}
>"The boy gave the knife to the guard which is carring the
>phaser pistol and me too"

Yes, this one is ambiguous. Is the guard carrying you, or did you also
give a knife to the guard? Recast the sentence so that it is not ambiguous,
and you will have better luck translating it into tlhIngan Hol.

>Edy

~ Thornton

Back to archive top level