tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 23 12:48:17 1998

Re: DS9: Once More into the Breach

The point you are missing is that Okrand has given us a
description of clipping, which can explain the "problems" in
ST3. I don't think that even in KGT he has given us an
explanation for the line in ST5 about the Romulan and the
Klingon being referred to as {romuluSngan je tlhIngan}. That's
just plain wrong. It's not a dialect. It's not clipped. It's
just wrong.

Maybe it is a dialect in KGT that I missed. If so, please point
it out to me.

charghwI' 'utlh

On Mon, 23 Nov 1998 11:28:42 -0800 (PST) SuSvaj
<[email protected]> wrote:

> qaSDI' 08:40 AM 11/23/98 -0800, ghItlh chargwI'
> :
> >On Sun, 22 Nov 1998 23:46:55 -0800 (PST) David Trimboli
> ><[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >There are basic flaws in a lot of the Klingon spoken there, like
> >placing the conjunction {je} BETWEEN nouns instead of following
> >them and such. It does have its share of changed subtitles, like
> >the line about space junk not testing the warrior's mettle. I
> >have less problems with that, but I did not see that kind of
> >blatant error in ST3 as the misplaced conjunction, or the
> >jumbled mess about the captain's merits.
>
> Actually, it was full of little screw ups.  Such as the lack of prefix, and
> suffix use.  For example:
>
> 			"jolopa' yIjaH" (The suffix "Daq" absent)
>
> 		"He chu' ghoS, DI'vI' neHmaH."  (The "yI" prefix not used)
>
> In his characteristically charitable way, Okrand created the concept of
> "clipped Klingon" to account for this.
>
> SuSvaj

Back to archive top level