tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 09 20:04:50 1998

Re: 2252?

Alan Anderson wrote:

> ja' Pam Felton <[email protected]>:
> >How many words are in TKD & KGT word lists?
>
> You asked that very well; it's a question we can answer simply by
> counting the words in the printed texts.  In fact, you can answer
> it for yourself, assuming you have the books.

vIghaj.  mu'mey vItoghta' 'ach mI'wIj vIvoqbe'.

> I happen to have some numbers handy, so I'll give them:

qatlho'  :)

> The Klingon-English side of TKD has 1474 entries.
> The English-Klingon side of TKD has 1683 entries.
> The Klingon-English addendum has 183 or 184 entries.
> The English-Klingon addendum has 212 entries.
>
> This doesn't count the names on page 58 or the curses on pages 58 and 178.
>
> However, knowing these numbers tells us little about how many actual words
> there are.  A few words don't appear in the K-E side, like {bol} and {yeq};
> others aren't in the E-K listing, like {jIj}.  Quite a few Klingon words
> have multiple entries in the E-K side because of the range of English they
> can express:  {'ang} and {Doq} are good examples.  Some of the entries in
> the lexicon are obvious grammatical constructions from existing words, like
> {baHwI'} and {ghojmoH}, and words like {vaghDIch} and {cha'leS} get their
> own listing.

Hmmmmm, looks like my word list isn't as close to completion as I thought.  I
have all the Klingon words typed out and I was just going to flip them for the
E-K but I better be careful I don't miss any words.  Thanks!

K'ryntes

Back to archive top level