tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 08 21:57:06 1998

Re: 2252?

ja' Pam Felton <[email protected]>:
>How many words are in TKD & KGT word lists?

You asked that very well; it's a question we can answer simply by
counting the words in the printed texts.  In fact, you can answer
it for yourself, assuming you have the books.

I happen to have some numbers handy, so I'll give them:

The Klingon-English side of TKD has 1474 entries.
The English-Klingon side of TKD has 1683 entries.
The Klingon-English addendum has 183 or 184 entries.
The English-Klingon addendum has 212 entries.

This doesn't count the names on page 58 or the curses on pages 58 and 178.

However, knowing these numbers tells us little about how many actual words
there are.  A few words don't appear in the K-E side, like {bol} and {yeq};
others aren't in the E-K listing, like {jIj}.  Quite a few Klingon words
have multiple entries in the E-K side because of the range of English they
can express:  {'ang} and {Doq} are good examples.  Some of the entries in
the lexicon are obvious grammatical constructions from existing words, like
{baHwI'} and {ghojmoH}, and words like {vaghDIch} and {cha'leS} get their
own listing.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level