tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 18 17:14:57 1998

Re: KLBC [B. Clawson]

---B Clawson <[email protected]> wrote:

> "yIn yISuq jay'!" 'e' jatlh be'nalwI'.

Leave out the {'e'} here.

There's a special rule for {jatlh}.  You [inadvertantly?] obeyed it in
your poem translation.  The words spoken in reported speech, _whether
direct or indirect_ are not the object of the verb of saying, nor is
the sentence spoken an SAO of the verb of saying.

I said I would kill the targ.
I said that I would kill the targ.
I said "I will kill the targ."

... are all translated into Klingon as:

jIjatlh targ vIHoH
or
targ vIHoH jIjatlh

(Note that "The warrior said he had killed the targ" is {jatlh SuvwI',
targ vIHoH}.  The change of person and aspect done to the words
actually spoken for reported speech in English doesn't occur in
Klingon.)

> > Too easy, eh? These may be too hard, but give them a try:
> > ---
> > I have to translate boring sentences in order to make that crazy
woman
> > happy.
> be'vetlh maw' vIQuchmoHmeH mu'tlheghmey Dal vImughnIS.

maj.

> > Before I can translate "War and Peace" I must know all the grammar
> > perfectly.
> "veS roj je" vImughlaHmo' Hoch pab vISovnISchu'.

That's "because I can translate ..."  For "before I can translate ..."
use {-pa'}: {vImughlaHpa'}.

> > A week ago I was believed to be a complete newbie.
> SochHu' jIchu'ba' 'e' Harlu'pu'.

Good, you found your way around the "week ago" trap with ease.
However you have used an aspect suffix on the verb following {'e'},
which is incorrect, and an aspect suffix isn't needed here, anyway.  A
week ago the action of one believing you to be a complete newbie was
not complete, so perfective is out.  Also, it's normal to replace {'e'
<verb>-lu'} with {net <verb>}.  There is at least one canon example of
{'e' <verb>-lu'}, but TKD makes it pretty clear that net is preferred
in this situation.

> I refuse to be "perfectly new" (though I considered it) because I
don't
> like chu'chu' as a verb construction.

No?  Because of the repetition or the meaning?  {-chu'} doesn't have
to imply perfect in a good way.  I often translate it as "utter."
{chu'chu'wI'} is the term I usually use to describe an utter newbie.
The stuttering repetition adds to the image for me.  But {chu'ba'} is
fine, if you prefer it.

I would have translated the sentence:

SochHu' jIchu'chu' net Har
or
SochHu' chu'chu'wI' jIH net Har

> > In a year I will speak Klingon fluently and write beautiful poetry.
> wa' nem tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhchu' 'ej bommey chongqu' vIqonlaH.

You changed the meaning slightly to "I will be able to write ..." but
I'll call it poetic licence.  You correctly chose {qon} to translate
"write."

> I realize that chong (be vertical) is a slang term, hope you don't
mind.
> :)

As long as you include that qualifier, I don't mind.

majQa'.  Maybe those were too easy, too.

laH nIv much jabbI'IDvetlh.  qaStaHvIS wej jaj laHlIj DaDubqu''a'?
laHna'Daj So'law' bom mughwI'.  pIj Qaghmey Huj lIng po'wI', mughtaHvIS.

SoHvaD mu'tlheghmey vInobnISqa'be'.  DaH qechlIj'e' tIlo' 'ej Hol
yIlo'.  yIqaD'egh.  bIghaqDI' nughmaj Daje'.

cheQaH tlhIH.  SughaqDI' machep.
You all help us.  When you contribute we prosper.