tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 18 17:21:31 1998

Fw: Words for "please", "thank you" etc. (fwd)

Hol chu' vIHaD 'e' boSov.  loQ tlhIngan Hol rurlaw' ...
"Please" "thank you" lo'qu'be' naDev Sungpu'.
*Salish* Sung Hol jabbI'IDghomvo' jabbI'Ivam vIlab.

>As for please, the noted Nlha7kapmx elder Mrs. Dorothy Ursaki, when asked
by
>an eager graduate student how to say please, said simply : "We Indians
>don't suck up." Enough said.
>
>[Dave here:]  Ah, some of you in the past received email from me with the
>signature file recounting the words of Pauline Flett, snxwmene?ey /
>Spokane tribe... to the effect that "Thanks, I've already eaten" is
>translated as lemlts^ &'e c^n il~n, but you'd never actually say that in
>her language.  The proper response to being offered food is to eat it.

majQa'.  bIDachHa'qu'choHDI' tlhIngan Hol.DajatlhtaHvIS, yIqaw.

Back to archive top level