tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 18 14:14:25 1998

Re: bID (was Re: SIS)

From: Steven Boozer <[email protected]>

>pagh wIghaj.  bID has unfortunately never been used in canon.  I agree with
>peHruS that it's probably a number and should precede its noun (e.g. bID
>Hong "half impulse power"), while others see it as a noun (is it so
labelled
>in TKD?)

Yes it is!  {wa'}, {cha'}, {wej}, etc. are labeled with "(num)," while
{bID}, {Hoch}, {HochHom}, and {'op} are labeled with "(n)."

>For all we know, bID could be a noun that requires a number complement:
wa'
>bID, cha' bID, wej bID, etc.

It's possible, but I don't hold to that idea.

>Perhaps it even refers to a physical half, not
>an abstract number:
>
>    'Iwchab DaneH'a'?         "Do you want some blood pie?"
>    HIja', bID HInob!         "Yes, give me half!"

I agree with this sentence completely.  Then again, since you could also say
{'op HInob}, {Hoch HInob}, {HochHom HInob}, you can see why.

I don't know, it seems awfully straightforward to me!

SuStel
Stardate 98461.3

Back to archive top level